1. Boat Basin Cafe: This place is a summer staple here in NYC. Located on the Hudson River and literally under the West Side Highway, Boat Basion serves up cheap beer and AMAZING hamburgers (I mean - really amazing) along with gorg views of... well, the 79th St Boat Basin. Burges, beer, boats? What's not to love?
2. The Met Rooftop: Every year the Metropolitan Museum of Art opens up their rooftop with a new exhibit. This summer is "Cloud City" by Artist Tomás Saraceno, it's a huge modular sculpture of plastic and mirrors that reflects the city back to you - you can even climb up inside it (which I haven't done, as it freaks me out...) They also serve up speciality drinks - the Cloud City Martini is made with dry ice... so it looks like there's a cloud floating on top of it. Crazy cool.
3. Yankee Stadium: I'm a huge baseball fan. And, even though I'm from the West Coast and will always and forever be an Oakland Athletics fan, games at Yankee Stadium (technically
not in Manhattan, but the Bronx - still NYC) are still a treat. NYC baseball is so deep with tradition that you really feel like a part of something when you're at a game. Plus - baseball is baseball, no matter which coast you're on.
4. Central Park Boat House: This one is a little bit of a tourist trap - I'll admit. But, my sister, brother-in-law and I have a little tradition, every year for the bro-in-law's b-day we rent a row boat spend the afternoon on the lake (mostly making fun of people who don't know how to correctly drive a row boat) and then grab drinks/dinner at the Boat House. It's silly, but fun and on a hot afternoon, sometimes nothing beats a cool drink by a lake (in the middle of the city....)
5. Cafe Habana: OK - by now you may have noticed that most of my summer favorites involve booze - please note all of these places are wonderful with or with out alcohol, I'm just a fan of summer cocktails ;) Cafe Habana is a tiny cuban restaurant in NoLita famous for it's grilled corn. I actually have dreams about the stuff it's so good. In fact if you had to pick only one thing out my 5 I would say go to Cafe Habana and get the grilled corn - divine.