Busy? Me too. Who isn’t these days? It seems like we’re all in a constant state of running from one thing to the next while we’re on our own personal missions to have it all, do it all, and be it all. Everyone’s all about that #hustle life so it’s time to take control of our calendars and still have a little fun while we get shit done.
Life seems to have picked up speed ever since I moved to New York – blame it on the city that never sleeps nickname or maybe just the endless list of things to do, eat and see all around the city. The energy here is palpable – you can feel it the second you step outside and hit the sidewalk – and with all that go go go, I’ve somehow also managed to feel more balanced than ever before. Some little ways I’ve found helpful for saving time, staying organized and crushing my to do list:
1. Find a morning routine you love: I’m a total morning person and over the years I’ve figured out that embracing my early riser status could make my day way better. To help set the tone for my day (especially a busy one), I’ve found my groove with a morning routine that I love: waking up at 6 AM on weekdays, immediately making myself a latte and turning on some tunes, then catching up on the day’s news with NPR while I take a quick shower. The balance of doing both things I really love (coffee and music) with something I know will benefit me and my brain (listening to the news) makes me feel great and I love having a few small consistent details within my morning routine that I can stick with while traveling to help avoid feeling out of whack while I’m on the go.
2. Streamline your steps to get out the door: I’ve found that the faster I can get myself up and out the door, the better to avoid any lounging around temptations that I know I’ll regret later. Over the past few months I’ve made a big effort to overhaul my beauty routine to make myself more efficient and less reliant on a million products to get me looking and feeling good in the morning. Recently, I upgraded my razor game to a new razor, joy – the design is super sleek and simple with 5-blades and a protective lubrastrip that glides smoothly over your skin for a really smooth shave, especially when paired with their glee shave gel (the cucumber aloe smells so good!). joy comes in pink and teal with a non-slip grip that is designed for total control even when wet. joy and glee products are only available at Walmart!
Instead of stressing about the state of my legs while planning my outfit in the morning, I’ve been making shaving a regular part of my Monday morning routine so I can wear all the cropped denim and dresses I want while knowing my legs are lookin’ good.
3. Stress less about packing for trips: Everyone loves travel, yet packing always seems to stress us all out. To make it easier to travel often without adding any stress to my schedule I’ve done two things that have made a major difference: 1. I always make a packing list using a template I created in Google Docs, starting with planning outfits to keep myself from overpacking while eliminating any what am I going to wear? stress, and 2. I have all of my go to beauty products always ready to go in a travel beauty kit, which includes things like an extra joy razor, my favorite cleanser and moisturizer, and even some wrinkle release spray in case my clothes end up a little disheveled after being in a suitcase.
4. Schedule everything, especially fun: Google Calendar and TeuxDeux are basically my ride or dies. Everything that goes on in my life is accounted for in some sort of list or calendar format, but a big shift I’ve made recently is blocking out specific times for myself. Whether it’s a workout, grabbing drinks with friends or even a planned night of staying in, I’ve been keeping myself in check by looking ahead at the week and setting aside time for the things I WANT to do, not just the things I HAVE to do to keep myself from getting burnt out.
5. Don’t forget to unplug and unwind: Smartphones have made us connected 24/7 and while I don’t think I could survive without one, it’s important to remember to put the phone down and unplug, often. Try putting your phone on silent and in your bedroom for the first hour after you get home from work to savor some offline time as you transition from a busy work day into your own time and space back at home. Feel free to check in if needed later on in the night, but avoid too much screen-time before bed to set yourself up for success with a good night’s sleep.
What are some of the ways you find joy, even during your busiest days?
This post was sponsored by joy and as always, all opinions are 100% honest and my own – authenticity is a top priority and I only partner with brands I truly love. Thank you for supporting the brands that partner with Pretty & Fun!